What To Do If You Slip, Fall, And Are Injured At Work
As a Chicago slip and fall lawyer, we’ve found that a common misconception is that these cases are easy to win. Many mistakenly believe that if you fell on someone else’s property you’re going to win in a legal suit against them.
Nothing could be further from the truth. In reality, court statistics reveal that at trial only one in five slip and fall cases lead to a financial award to the injured party. Consequently, knowing you probably won’t win a jury trial, insurance companies often make little effort to arrive at an out-of-court settlement.
At the Law Office of Scott D. DeSalvo, we are a Chicago slip and fall lawyer, and we want to suggest several steps to take if you suffer this kind of injury.
- Don’t give the insurance company a recorded statement. Insurance claims adjusters ask questions to get you to downplay the extent of your injuries and the liability of the other party. Don’t fall for it.
- Get immediate medical treatment for your injuries and carefully follow the physician’s instructions.
- Preserve as much evidence as possible. Keep the clothing you were wearing at the time of the accident and preserve any photos you took.
- Keep notes about the injury, such as where it happened, the time and date, what you were doing, what you think caused the fall and what you did afterwards.
- If the injury prevents you from working, apply for FMLA leave time to preserve your job.
- Be wary of social media. A casual statement downplaying your injury or a picture showing you doing something physical can provide evidence that your injuries are not as serious as you have claimed.
- If injured in a place of business, don’t talk to company representatives. Don’t give them any information or any kind of statement. Like statements given to claims adjusters, your words may come back to haunt you.
- Don’t exaggerate your injury. Insurance adjusters are good at detecting exaggerations, and once they’re detected, it’s difficult to settle a claim. And if you go to trial, your exaggerations could come back to hurt you.
- Very importantly, hire an experienced Chicago slip and fall lawyer to pursue your claim.
Expert legal counsel is crucial in pursuing your slip and fall injury cases. We have been a Chicago slip and fall lawyer for many years, and we want to help you. Contact us today for your free, no obligation consultation.
"Hiring Scott was one of the best moves I have made in my life. Scott is a down to earth person and attorney. Scott is a 5 star first class act who really knows his stuff. The Judge said his presentation was one of if not the best he had ever seen. Take my advice, hire Scott. I’m sure you’ll be 200% satisfied. I was."
Cab Driver, Fall Down