How To Keep Your Loved One Active When They Live At A Nursing Home
When placing a loved one in a nursing home, maintaining their quality of life is extremely important, and one way to ensure that is through enriching activities and programs. From the Law Office of Scott D. DeSalvo, a Chicago nursing home lawyer, we want to suggest some activities for your loved ones that will enhance their quality of life and increase their sense of happiness.
Nursing home activities
- Musical events – Music feeds the soul, and if you play an instrument, even something as simple as a harmonica or tin whistle, bring it with you when you visit and play for your loved ones and friends. You might also get a musician friend to go with you to the nursing home and hold a sing-along. Even less-active residents can enjoy musical get-togethers like these.
- Party time – The birthday of your loved one is a perfect time to get them together with some of their fellow residents to celebrate this milestone. Between birthdays, stage a happy hour from time-to-time with some non-alcoholic beverages and a few snacks. A simple pan of homemade brownies will provide a lot of joy!
- Game time – A game as simple as Bingo can bring a lot of pleasure, along with a sense of participation and camaraderie.
- Lunch anyone? – Taking your loved one out to a local restaurant occasionally helps them stay connected with the world and enjoy personal interaction outside the nursing home community.
- Simple physical activity – Moderate activity two or three times a week (or more) can boost energy levels and increase blood flow to the organs. “Pumping iron” with a can of peas is a good start. Consistent movement reaps rewards for the body and the mind.
- A hobby – Perhaps your loved one can take up a hobby they never had time for earlier. A few suggestions are writing poetry or perhaps their memoir. Or painting with brushes or their fingers. How about learning a new language? There are plenty of free apps, such as Duolingo, that can help them learn a new language. Here’s a list of about 100 other hobby options for seniors.
These are just a few suggestions from an almost endless list of possibilities.
If you do encounter any nursing home problems, remember we are a Chicago nursing home lawyer, and we want to help you. Email or call us at the Law Office of Scott D. DeSalvo at 888-HURT-318 (888-487-8318) and give us an opportunity to assist you.
"Hiring Scott was one of the best moves I have made in my life. Scott is a down to earth person and attorney. Scott is a 5 star first class act who really knows his stuff. The Judge said his presentation was one of if not the best he had ever seen. Take my advice, hire Scott. I’m sure you’ll be 200% satisfied. I was."
Cab Driver, Fall Down