How Do I Start and File a Worker’s Comp Case?

Taking the First Steps

So you’ve gotten hurt at work and made the decision to file a worker’s comp case.

AWESOME! But what now?

Some of the most frequently asked questions by people who have gotten to this point are, How do I start a worker’s comp case? How do I file it? Where do I even begin?

Relax. Continue reading to find out exactly what you need to do.

The Internet Is Your Friend

The first thing that you need to do is to go online and visit the Illinois Worker’s Compensation Commission website. Just open up a browser on your computer and type it right in.

Next, once you have entered the website, click the FORMS button, and then look to find the link for CASE MANAGEMENT FORMSClick that link.

Once you are there, your are looking for FORM IC01: Application for Adjustment Claim. Click that link and TADA! You’ve found one of the most helpful resources to getting your claim started online!

Now, you can download this form in either Word or Adobe PDF versions. This is completely up to you.

Your next option is to either fill it out on screen or print it and fill it out. Do what you feel the most comfortable with. But, if you don’t think you can write very, very legibly, you might want to stick to filling it out on the computer.

Helpful Hints

To make things even easier, they’ve included a set of guidelines for individuals filing WITHOUT AN ATTORNEY. Not only will it tell you EXACTLY what you need to do to start a case but also how to request a trial and all that important stuff.

Once you have filled in your forms, complete the Proof of Service to show that you have sent or delivered a NOTARIZED copy of the application to your employer. The notary is swearing UNDER OATH that you have given your employer a copy of this.

I always ask people to do SIX COPIES of these– Three copies will go to IWCC, the defendant or the respondent gets a copy, and I recommend that you keep two copies for yourself.

Make it Official

After you have filled out all the required paperwork, take your copies to the courthouse to file your claim.

They’ll make some copies, put them on file and now you’ve gotten an OFFICIAL file number. This number will help you look up your case if you ever need to ask questions about it.

There are five locations in Illinois to file your application: Chicago (by far the busiest office), Collinsville, Peoria, Rockford, and Springfield. CALL FIRST to make sure they are open before you head down there.

I hope this information was helpful for you and as always, please feel free to give me a holler if you have any questions. Now go get your claim started!


"Hiring Scott was one of the best moves I have made in my life.   Scott is a down to earth person and attorney.  Scott is a 5 star first class act who really knows his stuff.   The Judge said his presentation was one of if not the best he had ever seen.   Take my advice, hire Scott. I’m sure you’ll be 200% satisfied.  I was."

Richard Lange

Cab Driver, Fall Down                  See More >

Related Posts

Page [tcb_pagination_current_page] of [tcb_pagination_total_pages]

Scott DeSalvo, Injury Lawyer - 312-500-4500

I've been helping injured people just like you for my entire 20+ year career in all kinds of injury cases, and I can probably help you, too.You can call me 24/7/365, any time, day or night, to get a free copy of the Injury "Cheat Sheet" which gives you the Five Secrets to winning your injury case. 100% free & no obligation.Or, you can call and ask for a FREE case strategy session where I will answer all of your questions, 100% for free and no obligation. Call 312-500-4500. I look forward to hearing from you!

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Get Your FREE Copy of the Injury "Cheat Sheet"

Learn the Secrets YOU Need to Know To Win Your Injury Case!