How Long Do I Get My Workers Comp Benefits? Will They Cut Off My Benefits?

Click to play

July 31  

How Long Do Benefits Last?

I have a client question that I want to share with you, because it's information you need to know if you've been involved in a work injury. How long do I get my workers comp benefits?

If you get hurt in work Illinois, you're covered by Illinois workers comp law. Workers comp law gives your pay while you're off work, pays your doctor bills, if they're related to the injury and then at the end of the case you get a lump sum of money. Now there's other things you can get depending on your case, but those are the three basic things; two-thirds of your pay while you're off work, your doctor bills paid and a lump sum of money when you get better.

Want To Know Your Injury Case Value?  Calculate What Your Case Is Worth For Free...

Pay While Off Work

Well it's a little bit self-explanatory. The pay while you're off work goes away when there's a doctor's note saying that you can go back to work. When you get a doctor's note, then you go back to work and the TTD temporary total disability payments which is the pay for off work ends because now you can go back to work.

Medical Care

Medical Care is paid until the doctor discharges you. If a doctor is writing in his records that the medical care is related to the injury, then our position would always be that, all of the medical care that a doctor thinks is related to your work incident is going to be covered too, so those benefits should be covered until the doctor discharges you.

Lump Sum Of Money

Then, at the end of the case, you get a lump sum of money for your injuries. Once you get that lump sum of money, that either means we tried your case and the judge or the arbitrator at the workers comp Commission made a decision or, it means that we settled the case. Either way, as soon as the case is settled, that means you can't get anything else, that means the benefits end, the doctor visits end, that means there's no more money. There's no going back and asking for more money once there's a judgment or a settlement. All your benefits terminate.

So that's pretty much how long the benefits last. Practically if you have a back strain or a neck strain and you're hurt for six weeks, then the benefits last for six weeks. But there are people with more serious injuries who can't return to work for years and years and years and their benefits are supposed to cover them for however long it is until the doctor tells them they've reached MMI or maximum medical improvement.

Total Permanent Injury

If your settlement rarely, but usually this sort of provision would be in a judgment based on a trial. If you are declared a total permanent if your injury is a total permanent injury then you're supposed to be paid that money and your doctor bills are supposed to be paid for your entire working life. The point is if you're declared a total permanent by the judge or if the other side agrees, the benefits continue for your entire working life or the time in your life that you would have been working. I hope that information helps you.

Liked The Article?  Share It!

"Hiring Scott was one of the best moves I have made in my life....5 star first class act who really knows his stuff."

Not Ready to talk?

I hope this article cleared up your questions about what is an IME.

I look forward to hearing from you if I can be of assistance to you and your family if you have been hurt at work, and what I can do to help.

Click the button below and tell me about what is an IME and what's going on with you.

About the author - Scott D. DeSalvo

I've been helping injured people just like you for my entire 20+ year career in all kinds of injury cases, and I can probably help you, too.

You can call me 24/7/365, any time, day or night, to get a free copy of the Injury "Cheat Sheet" which gives you the Five Secrets to winning your injury case. 100% free & no obligation.

Or, you can call and ask for a FREE case strategy session where I will answer all of your questions, 100% for free and no obligation.

Call 312-500-4500. I look forward to hearing from you!

Similar Posts